Tuesday 30 April 2013

When I sailed Iain Percy's Star

On Friday I will be competing in the Optimist Selection trials, a four day event at the Weymouth and Portland Sailing Academy.

Sailing at the venue for the 2012 Olympics is amazing and I'm lucky that I have been there twice for Zone Squad training and once for the South Zone Championships last year.

The most awesome experience I've had in Weymouth so far though is the day I had a go at sailing with Iain Percy in his Star. Their boat was so much fun to sail!

In September 2008, we were at the Sail for Gold regatta in Weymouth and I was very lucky because my Dad was Sponsorship Manager at Skandia and I got to meet lots of Olympic sailors. I had only been sailing on my own in an Optimist from August so to get a go at sailing with an Olympic gold medallist at to helm the Star was epic! Here's a photo of me sailing with Iain which I still look at for inspiration!
Haydn Sewell sailing with Iain Percy in his Star
Me sailing with Iain Percy.

I've met Iain loads of times, the first time was when I was just a few weeks old at Cowes Week so Mum and Dad tell me but sailing with him was one of the best. I wouldn't mind getting a go on the Artemis AC45 next!!! I also took Iain into my school after the Beijing Olympics with his gold medal as my show and tell after the summer holidays - that was very cool too and my friends were so jealous that I got to wear his gold medal.

Hopefully the Selection Trials in Weymouth this weekend will be just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment