Wednesday 17 April 2013

Meeting Sam Davies

Awesome news that Sam Davies has been selected to be part of the girls team for the 2014-2015 Volvo Ocean Race!! 

A few weeks ago my Sister, Freya, and I were lucky enough to go and see Sam on the training boat in Southampton and have a good discussion with her about my sailing and stuff. It really inspired me to sail around the world as it seems great fun. I would like to do this after I have won the Olympics and the America's Cup! 

Sam showed us around the boat which was amazing. It was very pink which my sister really liked. Down below was incredible. I didn't realise how hard it is for the crew to sleep or that when they tack they have to move everything to the other side of the boat! Makes hopping across my Optimist seem a lot easier. 

Sam gave me lots of information and I definitely learnt loads from her!! At the time we couldn't say anything about our visit as the training was secret. 


Haydn Sewell, Sailing, Sam Davies
Me on Sam's boat when I was  2 yrs
I first met Sam when I was 2 years old when she was competing in La Solitaire du Figaro on the Skandia boat. My Dad worked for Skandia then but I don't remember the trip, but Sam always comments about my sailing on Facebook so it was great to see her. 

Here are some photos from the visit and also a short video my sister made for a school presentation she gave about about meeting Sam. Freya made the video with her iPod the wrong way up which is why it all looks a bit narrow!



Haydn Sewell, Sailing, Sam Davies
Me learning what all the
buttons on the wheel do
Haydn Sewell, Sailing, Sam Davies
Me testing out the bunks


Sam's lovely pink boat
Freya loved the pink steering wheel

Sam Davies looking very happy






No comments:

Post a Comment