Monday 6 May 2013

Selection Trials Day 3

Today was so much better.

As we are staying in a caravan just up the road for the Sailing Academy it's really easy to hear how windy it is when you wake up. Yesterday when I woke up it was howling and this morning it was all quiet. Phew. A better start to the day already.

Despite the difficult day on Saturday I felt quite excited and confident going out today as I knew I had a chance to get some better results.

It was a much better day wind wise, when we set off there was hardly any at all and we had to wait a while for the racing to get going but during the day it built up to around 10-12kts which is great for me.

As the winds were lighter we were racing outside of Portland Harbour in Weymouth Bay where the swell was pretty big.

The first race of the day was awesome. I had a great start and felt like I was sailing really fast. I went round the first windward mark in second place which is where I stayed for the rest of the race - a brilliant start to the day.

In the second race my start wasn't quite so good and I was in the middle of the fleet but I had good boat speed and going downwind I was able to overtake quite a few people to finish 26th which was OK.

Race three of the day wasn't so good. I had a bad start and couldn't get out of everyone's bad wind. I finished 40th and got a bit upset with myself about it so was determined to do better in the last race.

The fourth race of the day was another good one for me. I had a good start and was able to take over some of the really good national squad sailors and eventually finished 5th.

With two really good results today I climbed ten places in the leader board to be 30th overall. I came back to shore a much happier person than yesterday, that's for sure.

Some of the older sailors said some really nice things to me today about how well I was doing and how I managed to keep going yesterday which was really nice and made me feel a lot more confident.

To finish off a good day as it was my Dad's birthday and we went to the Crab House cafe where I had half a crab and chips for tea. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment