Sunday 5 May 2013

Optimist Selection Trials Day 2

Pants! Not the best day ever and the conditions certainly weren't in my favour.

Four races were scheduled for the the day and it was very windy all day. Average wind speeds were over 20kts for much of the day and it was gusting 30kts. Being so light weight that makes it very difficult for me and I was hiking and bailing all the time. No sooner had I bailed out than another wave came over the boat and I had to start all over again.

I found starting difficult in the conditions, getting stuck in irons at times and not being able to make pre start manoeuvres with enough control.

The really long beats in the strong winds were exhausting. I had let off loads of sprit which helped me to keep the boat flat but it was so difficult to keep the boat going fast through the waves.

Unfortunately I was at the back of the fleet for the first three races getting a 77, 62 and 63 but I had got round the course and stayed upright which was good.

I had a bit of a disaster sailing back down to the start area for race four, nose dived and capsized. Not the best thing to do. By the time I had got the boat back up right and bailed out I was totally exhausted and didn't make the final race of the day.

To add to the days problems I hit the pin end boat at the start of the first race of the day and forgot to do my 360 turn so had to retire from that race after we had finished.

Overall with one discard counting I'm in 40th place.

I was pretty sad and disappointed in the day, however, the next two days are forecast to be lighter winds so I am determined to go out and get some good results and climb the leader board again.

No comments:

Post a Comment