Thursday 11 April 2013

Easter Holiday's - Optimist & Pico Sailing and More

I have had a really busy Easter doing loads of Optimist sailing and other water activities.

It started off on the first Sunday of the holidays, at my local sailing club, Royal Victoria Yacht Club.  It was the open race of the season, the Commodore's Cup. We had a mixed fleet start so I was up against Squibs, Lasers, RS's on the start line which was fun. I was one of the first boats off the start so all the winter training must be paying off. The Optimists had a different course from everyone else. I won the racing by a country mile,  despite getting the course wrong at one point, which secured me a Trophy!!

From Monday through to Friday I was at UKSA, a watersports activity centre in Cowes, with a bunch of my friends doing lots of activities such as: sailing, kayacking, raft building, Easter Egg hunts etc. It was great fun. Obviously I enjoyed the sailing the most but it was great to be out on the water doing other stuff as well!!


Haydn Sewell sailing
Crossing the finish line to win
On Sunday, I went down to Gurnard Sailing club for some Pico racing with my friend Lily. I was her guest helm for the day as she wanted to get her revenge on her brother who had beaten her the week before. AND we definately did that. We beat all the other Picos on the water including some adults with racing mainsails and we won the slow handicap class!!! It was fun to be racing a different type of boat and to go sailing with someone else. HAPPY TIMES!
Haydn Sewell sailing
The winning team with matching drysuits 
Haydn Sewell sailing
Me and Lily being briefed by Lily's Dad












On Wednesday I started some Oppie training at Gurnard with all my friends which finishes on Friday and then I'm straight into more sailing in Lymington! HECTIC!!!!


On Wednesday my little sister Freya had her first go at sailing in her (my old) Optimist on her own for the first time. She was really good. Holding the tiller properly, sitting on the side of the boat and everything. I was really proud of her and pleased to see her out on the water. I hope she loves sailing as much as I do.
Freya Sewell Optimist sailing
Freya winning!
Freya Sewell Optimist sailing
Awesome Optimist sailing from Freya

Freya Sewell Optimist sailing
Great technique
One other good bit of news, We've ordered my brand new North Sail which should arrive soon. I can't wait to get it. I'll have it in time for the Selection trials in Weymouth which is my next big event.

No comments:

Post a Comment